Monday, March 19, 2012

Welcome

First off, I just want to say thanks to everyone viewing this blog. It means so much to me that you all would take time out of your busy lives to hear whatever it is I have to say. Hopefully, with time, you'll gain as much knowledge about the makeup universe as I have. As I record and edit a batch of videos for my up and coming YouTube channel, I figured it was time to start a blog to introduce myself and give a bit of background.

I began my journey with makeup at a young age. By sixth grade the popular thing to do was white eyeliner with glitter over the top. I look back now and think, "What the hell was I thinking?". I'll chalk it up to the fact that I was young and really didn't know much about makeup. After my parents divorce two years prior, my dad eventually ended up with custody, so learning makeup application became something I would have to figure out on my own. By high school the only bits of makeup I owned were different drugstore eye shadows, a black eyeliner pencil, mascara, and some lip gloss. I didn't want to go to school with full on foundation, because I assumed it was only for special occasions.

After high school my makeup collection grew slightly. I added foundation eventually, got some powder, blush, and a slew of other basic items. My application was simple, never really playing with much color. It wasn't until I was 22 did I actually start taking an interest in makeup. I came across a slew of videos online about various makeup applications, including some more theatrical work. The people made it look so easy, and that very same day I purchased a large eye shadow palette, some gel liner, and a bronzer. Besides the eye shadow, these items were something I never used, nor did I have a clue how. In addition to makeup, I also began to work on various nail art; painting things from flowers, to cupcakes, to Christmas lights on my nails.

Fast forward to now, almost 3 years later and my obsession has grown into something some would probably deem insane, should they ever come across my collection. Over the three years I have practiced many different techniques, purchased various products to test, as well as worked on the faces of others to refine my skill. Yet, the fun is still not over. Every day there are new products coming out, as well as being created. The world of makeup is growing, thanks in large part to the online community. We've gone from using our fingers, to having a multitude of brushes for every detail. We've gone from painting our nails different colors, to stickers with intricate designs that only need some filing and a top coat. Beauty has evolved, and in this blog I intend to show how, as well as dive into some of the more traditional techniques from our history.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment